Florida Vehicle Records:
Personal Information - Allowable Uses
Personal information contained in motor vehicle recordss may only be released for the following uses.*
- For any use if the requesting person demonstrates that he or she has obtained the written consent of the person who is the subject of the motor vehicle records.
- For use by an employer or its agent or insurer to obtain or verify information relating to a holder of a commercial driver's license that is required under 49 U.S.C. ss. 31301 et seq.
- For use by any insurer or insurance support organization, or by a self-insured entity, or its agents, employees, or contractors, in connection with claims investigation activities, anti-fraud activities, rating, or underwriting.
- For use by any government agency, including any court or law enforcement agency, in carrying out its functions, or any private person or entity acting on behalf of a federal, state, or local agency in carrying out its functions.
- For use in the normal course of business by a legitimate business or its agents, employees, or contractors, but only:
- For use in connection with any civil, criminal, administrative, or arbitral proceeding in any court or agency or before any self-regulatory body for:
a. To verify the accuracy of personal information submitted by the individual to the business or its agents, employees, or contractors; and
b. If such information as so submitted is not correct or is no longer correct, to obtain the correct information, but only for the purposes of preventing fraud by, pursuing legal remedies against, or recovering on a debt or security interest against, the individual.
- For use in connection with matters of motor vehicle or driver safety and theft; motor vehicle emissions; motor vehicle product alterations, recalls, or advisories; performance monitoring of motor vehicles, motor vehicle parts, and dealers; motor vehicle market research activities, including survey research; and removal of nonowner recordss from the original owner recordss of motor vehicle manufacturers.
a. Service of process by any certified process server, special process server, or other person authorized to serve process in this state.
b. Investigation in anticipation of litigation by an attorney licensed to practice law in this state or the agent of the attorney; however, the information may not be used for mass commercial solicitation of clients for litigation against motor vehicle dealers.
c. Investigation by any person in connection with any filed proceeding; however, the information may not be used for mass commercial solicitation of clients for litigation against motor vehicle dealers.
d. Execution or enforcement of judgments and orders.
e. Compliance with an order of any court.
- For use in connection with matters of motor vehicle or driver safety and theft; motor vehicle emissions; motor vehicle product alterations, recalls, or advisories; performance monitoring of motor vehicles and dealers by motor vehicle manufacturers; and removal of nonowner recordss from the original owner recordss of motor vehicle manufacturers, to carry out the purposes of the Automobile Information Disclosure Act, the Motor Vehicle Information and Cost Saving Act, the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966, the Anti-Car Theft Act of 1992, and the Clean Air Act.
- For use in research activities and for use in producing statistical records, so long as the personal information is not published, redisclosed, or used to contact individuals.
- For use in providing notice to the owners of towed or impounded vehicles.
- For use by any licensed private investigative agency or licensed security service for any purpose permitted under this paragraph. Personal information obtained based on an exempt driver's records may not be provided to a client who cannot demonstrate a need based on a police record, court order, or a business or personal relationship with the subject of the investigation.
- For use in connection with the operation of private toll transportation facilities.
- For bulk distribution for surveys, marketing, or solicitations when the department has obtained the express consent of the person to whom such personal information pertains.
- For any other use specifically authorized by state law, if such use is related to the operation of a motor vehicle or public safety.
- For any other use if the person to whom the information pertains has given express consent on a form prescribed by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. Such consent shall remain in effect until it is revoked by the person on a form prescribed by the department.
Individuals may order a copy of their own Florida Vehicle Record here.
*Additional requirements. The information presented on this page is a summary only. Organizations requiring copies of Florida driving recordss must establish a commercial account for direct recordss access. More complete information, including policies and restrictions, is included in account agreement.
American Safety Council, Inc. is the network provider approved by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles for provision of Florida Vehicle Records.
Florida Vehicle Record
Copyright © 2005, American Safety Council, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
This service is provided in association with State of Florida.com